Thursday, October 26, 2023

October 26, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

October 26, 1985. It was a Saturday night so I worked the dinner shift at Mazzio's Pizza. When I was done I hung out in the elevated dining area that had the television so I could watch the end of the 6th game of the World Series. My beloved Kansas City Royals had made it to the World Series for the second time in their history and it was looking like it would end up like 1980 with them losing in 6 games. But then came The Call by umpire Don Denkinger and perhaps a little help from the baseball gods too. Pinch hitter Jorge Orta was ruled safe on an infield hit and from that moment on the St. Louis Cardinals lost their minds. They were up 1-0 in the ninth, but after the Orta hit a series of miscues led to Kansas City winning 2-1 setting up a 7th game winer take all game. The Royals would win that one 11-0 as the Cards suffered a total meltdown. Sure, Orta was out, but the Cardinals should have taken care of business instead of blowing up. I'm glad they melted down.


Daylight Savings Time would be over at 2:00AM on Sunday October 27 so that would be one less hour to wait for that blowout in game 7 of the World Series. 

No comments: