Friday, October 27, 2023

October 27, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

October 27, 1985. The Kansas City Royals would win game seven of the World Series on this date which was a huge thrill for me since I had been a Royals fan since I got their team card in a pack of 1975 Topps baseball cards. I remember watching the game on television on pins and needles for the first few innings, but soon the Royals were putting runs across and Bret Saberhagen pitched shutout ball a day after becoming a father. 

I know it didn't happen on this night, but at some point near this date I went to the Smyrna Jaycee's Haunted House on Almaville Road. This happened in a completely random way. Our next door neighbor on Shacklett Road had a son who was in 8th grade so I would sometimes play basketball with him or throw baseballs with him. A couple of younger boys lived a house over from the 8th grader. They were elementary school age. We would all play baseball across the road in an open field sometimes, especially at this time of year. The younger boys one day near this date had visitors, 2 high school age female cousins (sisters) who joined in while we played baseball. The older girl suggested we go to the haunted house. 

October 27, 1985 Daily News Journal

So off we went with her younger cousins. I somehow ended up between the sisters who both spent lots of time screaming and hugging me as I chuckled at the horrific haunted house scenes. It was a blast. Halloween was coming on fast so Mercury Plaza in Murfreesboro had you covered with treats.



No comments: