Thursday, November 16, 2023

November 16, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

Today's revisiting the past post is brought to us by Bennigan's.

November 16, 1985. R.E.M. played Vanderbilt on the 12th. Barry Manilow played Municipal Auditorium on the 14th. AC/DC played the same venue the very next night. If that's not enough great music, The Replacements and Tina Turner both play concerts on November 16, 1985. Since The Replacements were playing at a club you conceivably could have seen Tina on her Private Dancer tour and then rushed to Nashville to catch them both. I didn't go to either show so perhaps it's possible both concerts featured covers of an Iggy Pop song. Except I haven't found a setlist for The Replacements gig at Roosters. Roosters would soon change names to become the Cannery. So, yeah, this all means that Tina Turner covered Iggy Pop's "Tonight" during her appearance at M.T.S.U.'s Murphy Center. Which makes me love the late Tennessee born Tina all the more. Mr. Mister was the opening act. Reviews from both the Tennessean and Sidelines below.






If I had been smart enough to get a fake ID I would have gone to see The Replacements at Roosters on this night. If you've made it this far into this post and actually went to this concert let me know in the comments. I'd love to hear how the Place Mats did on this night. 

November 15, 1985 Tennessean
                                        

No comments: