Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sunday Showcase July 17, 1983

We were in 1984 last week so why not drop another year back and check out what was happening in the July 17, 1983 Sunday Showcase.


WKDA AM was in its very brief, but beloved by me, "New Wave" format, and was promoting the Joan Armatrading concert at War Memorial Auditorium. Jules Shear was opening. I remember enjoying Joan's "Me Myself I" music video on Nickelodeon's PopClips show way back in 1980, but $11 seems a bit steep to me. I'm sure she was awesome though.


Me Myself I

Another concert was happening on the same night of July 18th and that was Little River Band with special guest Gary Morris playing Jackson Hall at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center.


KX 104 FM was not only bringing Little River Band to town, but The Beach Boys were coming to play Hermitage Landing on August 14. I wonder if there were other acts besides R.P.M. that day since the music was set to begin at 1 P.M. that afternoon. I love The Beach Boys, but never got to see them play live. I did get to see Brian Wilson a few years ago and that was magical, but seeing the band play while being on a beach (even a lakeside one) would have been super cool. If you happened to be there that day, do me a favor, and let me know in the comments how it was.


We pause this Sunday Showcase review for a quick ad from Backstage Hair Care Center where Lana Dilbeck will give you that super Eighties look (glasses not included).


Jackson Browne would be coming to Municipal Auditorium on August 16th. He was touring behind his Lawyers In Love album which hit number 8 on the pop charts. The title track was one of his first songs made into a music video for MTV. "Lawyers In Love" had just cracked the Top 20 when he played in Nashville and attendance probably wasn't what was expected.



tuned into Happy Days

One of the two concerts I would have been most interested in seeing is this awesome lineup of Fastway, Saxon, and headliner Iron Maiden coming August 1st to Municipal Auditorium. Tickets were jut $9.50! I had albums by all these groups. 


Saxon Power and the Glory video

Iron Maiden live in Dortmund 1983

If you wanted local rock and roll along with some out of town bands Cantrell's had you covered. I assume the July 30th act is actually the Violent Femmes.


Violent Femmes live at the Hacienda UK 1983

K 104 FM wasn't only helping to promote concerts they were promoting bad movies too. I saw this turkey at the theatre. 



Cinemax had the much better movie Megaforce, but unfortunately for me I lived out in the sticks and did not have cable television and there was no way we could afford a satellite dish. 



Here is the other concert that I would have loved to attend. Marvin Gaye was riding high with Midnight Love, but just check out the opening acts; O'Bryan, Cameo, and Run-D.M.C.!!! Keep in mind, that Run-D.M.C. didn't have their first single out yet. I wonder how they went over?


Run-D.M.C. on New York Hot Tracks 1983

Marvin Gaye live in 1983

"Wanna Be Startin' Something" was Michael Jackson's fourth consecutive Top Ten single from Thriller. Michael Jackson was huge, but "Every Breath You Take" would end up being the Top Billboard single of the year. You couldn't escape that tune. My favorites from this list are "Our House", "Come Dancing", and "Electric Avenue."


it's usually quite loud

there's a car park where the pally used to stand

can't afford a thing on TV


No comments: