Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Marbro Drive-In Opened July 22, 1966

The Marbro Drive In opened just north of Murfreesboro on July 22, 1966. It was on the property that had once been the 4-Lane Drive-In Theatre. It would provide entertainment for 18 years. Over the next few months I'm going to post ads and list almost every film that played there. Some of the ads were so smudged I couldn't figure out what film was listed. I never did get to see a film there. My parents didn't go there and I only got to drive in my senior year of high school which happened to coincide with the closing of the Marbro. Even though I never saw a movie there the place was still a part of my life as I always noticed the back of the big screen and the sign beckoning from the highway as my parents drove back and forth from Murfreesboro and Smyrna during my youth in the 70's and early 80's. The films almost always seemed to be rated R. It was popcorn fare, but only for older teens and adults with the movies on the marquee being out of bounds for me, mysterious and illicit. One day though I thought....I would get to see them. Those films playing at the Marbro. Now, I sorta have seen them.





July 22, 1966


July 28, 1966

July 29-30, 1966

July 31, 1966

Only July 1966 for this post. Expect more next time. Normal run was for movies to play Thursday through Saturday and then a new movie(s) to play from Sunday through Wednesday. It stayed this way, with occasional exceptions for many years. Here is the exact run-down for the first brief few weeks. I have corrected any mistake in the listing (for example it's The Beach Girls and the Monster, not Monsters). 

Thunderball
The First Annual T*A*M*I Show
The Beach Girls and the Monster
Devil Doll
The Silencers










No comments: