Wednesday, April 12, 2023

April 12, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

April 12, 1985. One of the biggest highlights of my senior year of high school was being part of the Quiz Bowl team. Our team was at Martin College in Pulaski, Tennessee on this date. I'm pretty sure the Katman drove several of us down on that day. We did pretty well finishing around 4th or 5th like we had been consistently doing which was pretty good considering it was the first year for our team. There may have been academic squads before at Riverdale, but if there had been I'm unaware. We were either the first or the first revival. A few years after my graduation the team would win a state championship. 

This was the one contest where I emerged as the top scorer for the team. I was usually 2nd best to DD Blank. I had struggled through most of the day and seriously thought about benching myself for the last round. I had been a starter all year which a pleasant surprise for me. I was always a trivia nut which was a big help in the academic bowl world. I was strong in everything but mathematics, but DD had that covered. One of our advisors/coaches Becky Hofstetter wouldn't let me sit out the last game. I felt tired yet the questions asked all seemed to be ones I immediately knew the answers to so I was buzzing in at a hectic rate. I ended up the lead scorer of the team for the day based on this one game. I think I was in the top 5 overall too. 

When we drove back to Murfreesboro that afternoon I convinced several of my teammates to go see The Breakfast Club at the Martin Four. I wrote about this on one of my best Film Flashbacks several years back. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was this the competition where they brought in McDonalds and there were enough Big Macs for thirds?

Wally Bangs said...

Most likely as it was an all day event. I don't remember it, but I probably would have only eaten French fries knowing me.