Wednesday, April 19, 2023

April 19, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

April 19, 1985. I got my first job!! I interviewed at McDonald's a week or so before and then forgot about it. The phone rang one evening and the next thing I knew I was putting in 16-20 hours a week after school and weekends cooking hamburgers and pearl diving. The first night though was either April 18th or 19th and it was dreadful. I filled out my paperwork along with another new employee. We were shown around the kitchen, but instead of learning to flip burgers and cook fries we were assigned our own special task. We had to clean the walk-in cooler from top to bottom. We spent 4 long hours on this. I recall we didn't talk much.

The shift finally ended and I came home surprised to find my mother hadn't gone to bed yet. She wanted to know how my night went. My entire body ached. I had never been so tired in my life. I didn't think I would go back. My mother, who had worked standing on her feet in a factory for most of my life, just told me I'd get used to it. She was right. Plus, cleaning the walk-in was something that didn't happen often. I would be working in the kitchen from then on out. The other new employee who helped me clean the walk-in however, did not come back. 

I would work at the McDonald's on Broad Street from April until August that year. While I didn't like smelling like hamburgers I did enjoy working there. I worked with an incredible bunch of people. I wrote about working there once before at this blog so follow this link to learn more: 

Wally's World of Work

I almost had a mullet


No comments: