Monday, July 17, 2023

July 17, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

July 17, 1985. Another hot Middle Tennessee summer was rolling along. The local Giant Foods grocery store in Memorial Village was becoming a Piggly Wiggly. It would also move from Memorial Village soon, but we didn't know that then. Of course, Giant Foods had once been A & P. My friend Gonz worked at Giant Foods. I had filled out an application and thought it was in the bag that I'd get hired since my Father was always yakking with one of the managers, but I never got an interview. I had spent a lot of time in that grocery store though as my Father liked to go there. I would park myself in the magazines and then beg for a quarter as we walked out of the store. I'd either get some gum or a toy out of the machines. 


There are a couple of stories in The Daily News Journal from July 17, 1985 that might not have seemed too important then, but both have had huge impacts socially and financially through the years. The first cell tower ever in Rutherford County is approved and Dolly Parton decides to buy an amusement park in East Tennessee and rename it Dollywood. Wild.

                     

No comments: