Friday, July 07, 2023

July 7, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

July 7, 1985. After our visit into Memphis, my Mother and I headed back to Ripley, Mississippi for a few more days with Grandma and my Aunt E. I would guess we also saw my Uncle Junior and his wife my Aunt Beverly too, but they have been visiting somewhere else. I gave my cousin Sammy back his Purple Rain tape and we were back on the road to Murfreesboro. It was always a bit weird coming home after being gone for a week or two. My Father would never come on these trips to Mississippi. I suppose the year or so we lived in the early 70's was enough for him, although he did have to come down once in the mid-70's when Mama's car broke down. There was no phone calls to let him know we'd arrived once we got to Ripley either. Long distance cost too much. 

This probably sounds strange, but I would often wonder if the man whom was in our home was really my Father when we would arrive back in Tennessee. His voice was always strange to me after not hearing him for the last week or two. It was an odd few days I suppose akin to decompression. This year was no different with that bizarre feeling once again making its return. I wouldn't have much time to worry about it this time as it was back to work at McDonalds and there was a big concert coming up in a couple of days. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were coming to Municipal Auditorium on their Southern Accents tour and the hot new band Lone Justice were opening. 

No comments: