Friday, September 02, 2022

September 2, 1984 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

September 2, 1984. Red Foods has their grand opening. The growth of Murfreesboro in the mid-80's didn't bother me at all. Maybe it was because I lived a good 15 miles or so out of town. Perhaps it was because I didn't have a huge attachment to the areas that were growing. When we lived in town we always lived in the Mitchell-Neilson school area of Jones Boulevard so it wasn't as though I was unfamiliar with the Northfield area. I can remember when Northfield Blvd didn't connect, but growth on that side of town seemed cool (at least until Readmore Books moved from the Mall) to me. I suppose that change always seems good when you're young. My mother would sometimes get groceries from Red Foods after we moved to Shacklett Road, but she still primarily shopped at Kroger. I only ventured into the store a few times even though I would visit Cat's Records next door at least once every week it was open.


Bonus Radio Shack ad (check out the prices...don't they seem high)







No comments: