Friday, September 30, 2022

September 30, 1984 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

September 30, 1984. I don't know the exact date, but my father went back to work for Clark Iron & Metal and we moved off of Jimmy C. Newman's farm. We bought a house on Shacklett Road between Murfreesboro and Smyrna. Neil Young and the International Harvesters had played the Grand Ole Opry House on September 18th and Jimmy C. Newman went to that concert. The day after Jimmy told me he should have taken me with him as he knew I would have enjoyed it. So we were still living on his farm on September 19th, but would move before September ended.

I don't know why my father quit working for Jimmy, but that's why we moved, but as I was now driving to school each day I didn't mind the change. I would be a bit closer to Riverdale and much closer to Murfreesboro. I was now driving an old Plymouth my father had bought from the accordion player in Jimmy C. Newman's band. We would live on Shacklett from September 1984 until March or April of 1986. I drive Shacklett Road often now since I currently work in Smyrna and its a good short cut to avoid the 3 way stop at Sulphur Springs and Leanna Community Road. I have wonderful memories of that area, but I guess my memories of the house we lived in will have to stay in my head as it was recently gutted and is being rebuilt. It looks like it will be built very similar, but it won't be the same. Someone built a house right across the street many years ago and that was odd enough. Stones River is basically in their backyard. 

My 1969 Plymouth Fury II

Me rocking a Nugent concert shirt along with some pink New Wave sunglasses I bought at Port O Call.

My classmates that were in the Riverdale marching band were busy getting some honors from a competition held at Vanderbilt on September 22nd. 


If the Rod Stewart concert on September 29th at Murphy Center was too rock and roll for you how about seeing the Oak Ridge Boys on this night back in 1984. The M.T.S.U. Events Committee was working hard  in 1984 with two big concerts back to back. This was peak Oak Ridge Boys!


Today's post is brought to you by Godfather's Pizza in Memorial Plaza. Long gone, but not forgotten. This home delivery ad is pretty cool.









No comments: