Sunday, December 04, 2022

December 4, 1984 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

December 4, 1984. Notice of the censoring of The House of Blue Leaves has reached the playwright John Guare and he's not too pleased. Will the play go on? 



There's a letter to the editor about the play controversy too. I think it was about this time that I made a trip to my favorite place in the world, Linebaugh Library, to check out a book with the play in it so I could see what all of the fuss was about. I found the black comedy to be funny albeit profane.


More exciting for me was that Riverdale would be hosting Oakland for basketball on this night. I was in the bleachers hoping for breakaway dunks. It's interesting to me now that this would be only the second time I saw Oakland play at Riverdale with the first time being when I was a freshman, but instead of being a Riverdale student I was at Oakland. I had pursued a girl named Elaine since I was in 7th grade and was finally her boyfriend even though she was at Riverdale. We went rollerskating and would hang out at Mitchell-Neilson Elementary's old playground when she would stay with her father on the weekends. But, the most memorable was going with her to Riverdale to see Oakland take on Riverdale and then go to a dance in the cafeteria. I spent the night dancing like a maniac, but Elaine only wanted to dance to slow songs. So I spent much of the night just dancing randomly with girls that remembered me from 7th grade. It was perhaps the last time in my high school life that I was completely free. I didn't care about what anyone thought that night. It would be late in my senior year at Riverdale before I attended another dance and I deejayed that one. 


No comments: