Friday, December 09, 2022

December 9, 1984 (Revisiting the Past) Part 1

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

December 9, 1984. It's a two parter today. First up, it's time to talk about Riverdale High's cross town rivals the Oakland Patriots who won their first football state championship the night before beating a heavily favored Memphis Hamilton squad. The game was broadcast on WTVF Channel 5 and I watched every snap. Sure, I wanted Riverdale to win the district championship, but once we didn't I kept up with how the Patriots were doing and was happy to see them go all the way. I was especially happy due to the Michell-Neilson connection.

The starting backfield for the Patriots were 3 guys that went to Mitchell-Neilson Elementary school with me. I had had classes with the quarterback Jimbo Ralston and halfback James Howse. Fullback Ricky Wade also went to Mitchell-Neilson and while we never had classes together I knew him. I'd even played backyard football with Jimbo. It was great to see them bring a championship to Murfreesboro. You could say they took it to the  Howse. Here's some stories about their win. Part 2 of this post will drop later today and it will all be about when Bruce Springsteen played Murphy Center on December 9, 1984.



No comments: