Sunday, January 15, 2023

January 15, 1985 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

Photo from yearbook was colorized.

January 15, 1985. This was a Tuesday night and if you were a teenager then you had 2 great options for entertainment on this night. Dio was playing Municipal Auditorium with Dokken opening. I didn't go to this concert as my concert going wouldn't really pick up until I finally starting working. So far I had only seen Van Halen, Ted Nugent, and the Twisted Sister with Dokken and Y & T shows at Municipal. I would get to see Dio later a couple of times and he was great.


Dio live in Japan later in 1985

Sure, you could go check out the movies at the Martin Four since Tuesday was the bargain night admission, but if you didn't go to see Dio the other best option on this night was Warriors basketball. The Lebanon Blue Devils were coming to take on my school at Johnny Parsley Memorial Gym and I would be in the stands cheering for breakaway dunks. The Warriors would roll to win number 15 for the season with no losses.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny Parsley! What a great person and the #1 Warriors fan! I was fortunate to know Johnny and had numerous opportunities to talk to him as a kid when my father was the Warrior’s football DC.

Wally Bangs said...

He passed away my junior year. I had Mrs. Anthony for English that year and she would put butterflies on a bulletin board for each RHS student that passed on (there were too many that year) and of course he got the biggest one. I remember him cheering at the games and coming to the pep rallies. Everybody loved him.