Saturday, August 05, 2023

A Quick Visit to Rev. Howard Finster's Paradise Garden

Rev. Howard Finster's sacred folk art has intrigued me ever since I saw R.E.M.'s video of "Radio Free Europe." His Paradise Garden located in Summerville, Georgia are featured prominently and has been calling me for years. I couldn't put off the call any longer. I'm so glad I finally went there.

Decide yourself

So yesterday I took the day off work and come rain or shine I was going to make that 2 1/2 hour trip to Summerville, GA to wander for an hour or so through the Reverend's creation. I took a route that went through the Chickamauga Battlefield and that was a calm respite from the tedious traffic. Summerville is not too far from Chattanooga and I soon found myself there. It had rained on and off all morning, but upon my arrival it was overcast, but dry for the moment. The young lady working at the admission desk introduced me to the pets that roam the park and house. There are currently 2 orange cats named Calvin and Hobbes along with a small dog named Lucy. Calvin was a talkative cat, but I don't think I got a photo of him. Hobbes tagged along often with me so I got a picture of him. I believe one can see Lucy in one of my outdoor photos. You get a free map, but I bought the $5 self guided tour booklet too even though I didn't use either of them. I just wandered randomly through the property. I was the only visitor. I took 115 photos and that's way too many to post here, so I am going to consult the guide book and see if I can arrange the photos as if I did actually use it. Hope you enjoy! And if you've never been you should go! 



People of Nineveh mural


World's Folk Art Church, Inc.

The back of the Cadillac given to Howard by Victor Faccinto

Meditation Chapel 


Inside the Meditation Chapel


I loved all of the mosaic sidewalks


Bicycle Tower

Mosaic Garden section was built on a swamp


The giant concrete shoe is looking good!

The Mirror House is amazing!!!





Howard's Memorial

Keith Haring Replica statue

The Serpent of the Wilderness

So that takes me through the guidebook albeit I did miss taking photos of some things as it did begin to rain during my visit. Here are some more random photos from the trip there including the cat named Hobbes! I hope you enjoyed this post. I wish I could have stayed all day there.






An R. A. Miller made whirly-gig!!!












No comments: