Sunday, September 20, 2020

Sunday Showcase Review September 23, 1984

It's time for another look back at a Sunday Showcase and this one is from September 23, 1984. The Tennessee State Fair's last day was on and you could ride everything as often as you like for $5 between 12 noon and 6 PM. This turned out to be a music heavy....well almost all upcoming concerts and Top Ten related so I hope you don't mind.


Elton John would be coming to MTSU's Murphy Center on October 7. His popularity had waned since his Seventies heyday, but he was still a major superstar as his concert at Wembley on June 30, 1984 shows.


Elton John live at Wembley 1984

The MTSU Special Events Committee was busy in 1984 as they also have the Oak Ridge Boys and Rod Stewart lined up to appear in concert. 


Oak Ridge Boys on The Tonight Show 1984



Rod Stewart live in San Diego 1984

I was pumped up for Twisted Sister's October 13th appearance at Municipal Auditorium. I rode up to it with some Riverdale friends and had a great time with Dokken and Y & T opening the show.


Dokken on American Bandstand 1984

Y & T live at the Rock Palace 1984

Twisted Sister live 1984

The always fantastic Ray Charles was coming to play Andrew Jackson Hall at TPAC.


Ray Charles live 1984

Jefferson Starship without Paul Kantner or Marty Balin doesn't seem right and the band would mutate into just Starship by 1985. 


Jefferson Starship live 1984

I had really hoped I could find some footage of Riverside Raceway Park on the web, but I came up empty. There is a Facebook page devoted to the track. I had an uncle who used to drag GTO's there in the early Seventies. If my memory hasn't completely failed I remember it was visible from I-40 because I recall being excited to see it when we would drive past on our annual trip to Memphis and Mississippi. 


It was your last chance in 1984 to enjoy the State Fair. It's a shame there wasn't one this year.


Fair Park

The Top Ten is loaded with memorable hits. Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do It" was a massive hit and I think everybody in Tennessee took pride in her success since she was born in Brownsville and grew up in Nutbush. Prince has 2 places in the countdown as the Purple Rain movie and album was one of the biggest rock and roll stories of the year. Finally, it still amazes me that Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop" was such a huge hit with it's self love topic that was so funnily captured in the video.


The little stutter step always gets me

Cartoon Cyndi points to Self Service....get it?

Prince reigned

In 1984


No comments: