Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sunday Showcase Review September 24, 1972


This week's Sunday Showcase comes from September 24, 1972 with a delightfully silly cover featuring William Conrad, star of CBS's Cannon, making a guest appearance as Captain Amazing on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In which ran on NBC. Conrad was an interesting guy. He was a fighter pilot in World War II. He was the radio voice of Marshall Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke. He narrated the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Narrator William Conrad is featured

The music people at WMAK 1300 dropped an ad with their new fall line-up. Coyote McCloud was looking good! He would be one of my favorite disc jockeys when he was on in the mornings for KX104 in the early 80's. Scott Shannon was their primetime deejay and I've read many comments waxing nostalgic over him. I was still a few years away from becoming an avid radio listener, but I love listening to old radio spots posted on YouTube. 


Scott Shannon on WMAK

Some more Scott Shannon on WMAK

Tuesday nights in the Seventies was a great time to turn on ABC, which in this case was still channel 8 in the Nashville viewing area, and see an all new made for television movie. Moon Of The Wolf was premiering this week. I watched many of these growing up and I get excited just to hear the the Burt Bacharach tune "Niki" which was the music used in the theme.


ABC Movie of the Week intro

He's saying werewolf.

Fall television was in full swing and WSM TV 4 has a nice big ad, probably provided by the NBC network, showing what was going to be on that Sunday night. I remember being outside on Sunday afternoons when my mother would call for me just to let me know the The Wonderful World of Disney was coming on. I would sprint to the back door as quickly as possible. It would be time for a bath and bedtime but first the NBC Sunday Night Mystery Movie would begin. I remember the intro of the anthology show as I would act like I was walking toward the television set with my own flashlight. 


Everywhere you look unrest...

Loved this theme

The 8th Annual Festival of Music was happening at the Grand Ole Opry House. This would have been held at the Ryman. Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, Boots Randolph, and Jethro Burns are the big attractions with tickets available at Harvey's and 100 Oaks Mall.


Stanley Kubrick's movie version of A Clockwork Orange was coming to play Green Hills.


It's a stinky world because there's no law and order anymore

The Top 10 Records have Elvis on top with "Burning Love" which had replaced the Raspberries "Go All The Way." Sam Neely is a singer/songwriter who's overdue to be rediscovered so it's cool to see his biggest hit "Loving You Just Crossed My Mind" hit number 8 in Nashville. It got up to 29 on the national Billboard chart. He would later get the song "Long Road To Texas" in my favorite movie about pinball called Tilt



Sam Neely

Raspberries going all the way on the Mike Douglas Show

it's not the 45 single, but here's Elvis doing "Burning Love" in Hawaii

No comments: