Thursday, October 13, 2022

October 13, 1984 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

October 13, 1984. It was Twisted Sister time in Tennessee. I went to see Twister Sister on this date.


I was probably most excited to see Dokken to be honest, but Y & T and Twisted Sister were going to rock too. I was going with Shane B, possibly Smooth, and Tim C was to be the wheelman. There might have been someone else with us as I remember the ride up there and back being cramped in Tim C's Nissan Pulsar. I thought I was going to die on the way to the concert as Tim C drove very fast. He played the Bob and Doug McKenzie album Great White North in his tape deck so we made it from Murfreesboro to Nashville and back in 45 minutes flat as we got to hear the entire tape which ended just as we made it home. 

Dokken was great as I expected. Y & T stole the show that night with a heavy yet melodic set of stompers including a visit from their mascot metal man robot whom I think was named Rock. Twisted Sister sounded good, but Dee Snider was just a bit abrasive. The bit with turning on the house lights and demanding everyone stand for Twisted Sister including those in wheelchairs was stupid and offensive. I bought a t-shirt with Dee's ugly face anyways. I later ending up shredding it to make it look punk rock. It was a wild night with people just passing joints down the line in the floor audience where we all stood. Tim C took a toke and I told him how surprised I was to see him do that as I'd always thought he was a dork. I'm surprised he still gave me a ride home that night. I was always saying stupid things. I still do.

This date is very bittersweet now as both Smooth and Tim C have since passed away. Smooth was killed in a car accident in 2004 and Tim C died around 2013 of what I presume was a terminal illness. Yet, moments I spent with them still resound in my memories. 


No comments: