Wednesday, October 05, 2022

October 5, 1984 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

October 5, 1984. It was Riverdale Homecoming! I don't remember if I dressed up that week or not. Which means I probably didn't. I've never been much of a joiner when it comes to institutionally sanctioned fun. I wasn't against others wearing what they wanted to wear. I probably wore my homemade "anarchy" name tag on punk day. The homecoming theme was "This Side of Paradise", but I don't have a clue or memory of why that was chosen. There's usually a song to connect to homecoming, but not in this case. There was a pep rally on Friday where the seniors (go us!) won the spirit stick and then there was a Fall Festival on the school grounds which meant leaving campus early once you got your fill of the attractions. The game was a bust with the Warriors losing 21-0 to the Falcons from Lincoln County. Oakland fared much better on the road at Tullahoma beating them 23-13 with my old Mitchell-Neilson Elementary School classmate James Howse rushing for 231 yards. The Patriots gave the game ball to Bobby Morton's father Fisher.

We've got spirit yes we do! Beloved Riverdale Principal Hulon Watson.

Mr. Vanzant's class won for best decoration

It's the Eighties!

Homecoming Queen Schrelle Lyons and her Court

Schrelle Lyons with student body President Kelly Lewis

Tough night for the Warriors

Yearbook Warrior Week wrapup

Here's the sports page from the October 6, 1984 Daily News Journal recapping all of the high school football action. As always, you can click on the image to make it bigger or right click and save in a different tab if you really want to blow up the image. 


No comments: