Sunday, August 28, 2022

August 28, 1984 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

August 28, 1984. It's the first day of classes for county schools so I begin my senior year at Riverdale. I rode a school bus in 7th grade, and 9th through 11th, but this year I get to drive to school. I'm in my father's big honking '75 Chevrolet Impala. I would get it up to 100mph regularly the first few weeks driving home on Manchester Highway to where we lived on Jimmy C. Newman's farm off Big Springs Road. I gave the freshman neighbor a ride home during the first week of school and told him he could ride with me every afternoon, but that one ride was enough for him. There's no way you'd be able to go that fast on Manchester Highway now as there's too much traffic thanks to all of the new houses built out that way. It's best anyways for that freshman as, little did I know it at the time, but we would be moving from the farm very soon. 

I would only need 5 credits to graduate so I wouldn't have a 6th period this year which was nice. English with Mrs. Becky Hofstetter was up first, then on to Mrs. Warner's for homeroom. My next 3 classes were all in the same block of classes so it was a breeze making it on time for Sociology/Psychology with Mickey Vanzant, Geography with Coach Fisher, and Mrs. Martindale's World History. Lunch came midway through World History. I finished up the day in Accounting with Mrs. Kiser. Then, it was sweet freedom! Later in the school year I would sometimes go over to my friend Jeff''s house where he'd play the Kiss album Unmasked while waiting to go back to Riverdale to pick up his girlfriend. I wonder if he remembers us doing this? Memory is such a strange and wondrous thing...I mean, all I have to do is apply just a small effort in my mind and I'm back in the mid-80's experiencing it all again. And it was all so wonderful most of the time.


No comments: