Tuesday, August 30, 2022

August 30, 1984 (Revisiting the Past)

I'm going back through what comprised my senior year of high school and first semester of college in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Come along for the ride. New posts every day or so mixed in with other things.

August 30, 1984. It's Thursday which means school. This might have been the day when 2 freshman girls came up to the Gonz and me out of the blue. They just starting chatting us up. Gonz ended up dating one of them for the school year and some beyond I think. I had spent most of my previous two years at Riverdale pining for girls that didn't reciprocate my feelings so I had resolved not to get involved with girls my senior year. I, for the most part, had no trouble with this, but I would end up with some crushes later in the school year. 

As for what was happening in Murfreesboro and the county that would one day soon have an impact on me...the county sheriff declared war on poker machines. I didn't play the poker machines. I played pinball and video games. This poker machine war would see one of my favorite game rooms shut its doors for good in less than 2 years. Memorial Village's Family Billiards days were now numbered. 

DNJ August 30, 1984 headline

Family Billiards 1977 ad from M.T.S.U.'s Sidelines paper




No comments: